I went for an exam to get another prescription for my contacts today. In walked a young doctor, happily pregnant.
Prego Doc: Are you taking any medications?
Meg: No. Oh wait. Yes I am. Um, Parlodel and Lupron.
Prego Doc: What is the Parlodel for?
Meg: Uhhhhhh, to regulate my cycles.
What I should have said: For my nipple discharge, gross huh? And come to think of it, I have been on this shit for more than a month and it has not remedied the problem. Also, this reminds me that I had an MRI done a month ago and my freaking impersonal Kaiser RE has not told me if it was normal or not. I bet it was.
Prego Doc: Is it a hormone or something? Lupron is. Are you doing fertility treatments (her face lights up....)
Meg: Uhhhh,yes.
Prego Doc: So...have you started cycling yet?
Meg: Um, no not yet.
What I should have said: Well no. I am not really doing infertility treatments. I am just getting ready for a third doctor to go into my uterus for the third time in less than one year. Um, tell me...what does this have to do with my eye exam?
Prego Doc: I had to do a few treatments myself and it is all worth it in the end.
Meg: Yes, it is a long process.
What I should have said: My process is not what you think. I have miscarried twice and I am trying everything I can, including taking the medications I tried to quickly tell you about in the first place. I am trying to help prevent another pregnancy loss, another horrible ultrasound saying there is no heartbeat. Now can you please check my eyes so I can go home?
Monday, March 24, 2008
Eye Exam
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
17 comments:
I'm sorry she was so dense. I hate it when people mean well so I can't be properly angry at them.
I hope your eyes don't need checking for a nice long time.
Oh boy. I guess I should start appreciating the people that just don't ask. Silence is golden, and all that.
I hate when these situations happen-and they happen all too often. It makes you wish you could just hide from the whole world.
Don't ya just love helpful people? Ugh!
UM.. WTG there Doctor
For an eye doctor, she seems kind of unable to see and understand.
Ouch, I'm sorry.
LOL I agree with Lori.
Gotta love the wise pregnant women, especially when they are your doctor.
For someone who went through it, or supposedly, you think she'd be more understanding and sensitive.
I'm sorry about your lousy doctor and all of her mindless questions. Sheesh.
I can never think of a good excuse for people who say really stupid things. But, I must say, if this lady has experienced any kind of IF issues one would think that she would have better sense than the general public. Sorry it was a yucky appointment!!
Yes, I hate it when medical professionals start probing more than they need to. Can't they read the cues that a patient is not interested in talking? Just do your job and move on!
There's such a huge difference in personality type between specialties. She sounds just like an eye doc.
:( People are just trying to find common ground sometimes. Maybe she had to deal with IF and wanted to talk to someone who understood????
Still weird. "Just check my eyes, lady! You don't know me!"
Im sorry she was so nosy. At least she didn't go on and on about how easy and accidentally she fell preggo.
Oh man - I hate when this happens!!! Can't we all get a break at some point!?!
Yeah, it always bothered me when people tell me how "worth it" is in in the end. I am sure they are right, but you know what, we're not at the end yet. It's hard to see it all as worth it, when we don't know how the story will go.
I get to the point where I want to leave all IF things off my medical history. I hate if they ask, "do you have any medical problems?" and I say, other than infertility, no. I hate it worse if they see an oocyte removal surgery mentioned and then look at my belly, to see if it worked.
Despite popular belief, the uterus is not attached to the eyes!
I am sorry that you had to endure the questioning from the doctor.
Post a Comment